BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 4, 2013

if it weren't for mexico, i would be in the hospital

I have chronic asthma which means I will inevitably get bronchitis, especially when the seasons change.

Rewind to early December 2012.

M and I boarded a plane so we could board a ship to Cozumel, Ochos Rios and Grand Cayman. If you don't know anything about Mexico, let it be known that you can walk into any pharmacy and practically get whatever you need/want without a prescription. What I wanted (and needed) was an inhaler and some prednisone.

Let's rewind again. Two days before we boarded the plane that took us to the ship, I was visiting the ER because I knew my lungs weren't doing well and quite frankly, I wasn't about to give up my eight days of fun in the sun. And you better believe that I wasn't going to get stuck in some foreign country with an illness at a foreign hospital where they might speak a foreign language. No, thank you.

Fast forward to port one, day two: Cozumel, Mexico. The boat pulls into Puerto Maya, we disembark and bounce through the dufry to find a taxi that will take us to Chankanaab National Park so we can lay on the beach and ride some dolphins.

(M in the taxi)

Not knowing that boat time, my watch time and Mexico time were all different, we arrived pretty early so we had the taxi driver take us into town to explore the city a little. The city was so dirty, there are no rules about driving and I don't think the city was all that safe since our driver was constantly watching over us like he was our personal body guard. M wanted to check out the farmacias (spanish for pharmacies, y'all), to see if the rumors were true. And so we did.

We finally found one that was open and me being the asthmatic that I am, I was like a kid in a candy store. Had I known that I just needed to tell them that I wanted "prednisona" and to show them my inhaler, I would have allotted a lot more money towards medication to go home with me, but then there's customs. Oh, customs. And because I'm a scaredy cat, I only got a bottle of 100 tabletas of prednisona and two inhalers (which were in Spanish, therefore it could have said crack and I still would have used it.) Not that any of y'all care about how much I paid for my drugs, but I felt like I was stealing it, really. Here in America, you can't get this kind of loot for five hundred twenty-four...pesos (that's about forty American dollars). By the way, ONE inhaler here in 'Merica costs me approximately $62.71. You're welcome.


That brings us to present time. This whole week I have been feeling lousy. I even stayed home from work for two days and that's not typical of me. And then...then, I got hit even harder and here I am with the same junk I get in my lungs every seasonal change and I can just pop some prednisona and take a breathing treatment.

(Those Mexican inhalers are long gone and used, BTdub.)

(And that's how Mexico has saved me a trip to the hospital.)

No comments:

Post a Comment